Ujjwal Nikam calls for ‘Operation Sindoor’-like action against Pakistan terror modules


Ujjwal Nikam seen in a file photo.

Ujjwal Nikam seen in a file photo.
| Photo Credit: Vivek Bendre

Emphasising the need for another Indian military action in Pakistan, former special public prosecutor of the 26/11 terror attacks case and sitting Rajya Sabha member Ujjwal Nikam on Monday expressed anguish over Pakistan’s inaction on the evidence given by prime accused David Headley. “We need another Operation Sindoor for Pakistan to act against its terror modules. We need another Operation Sindoor to show to the world that we are not a banana Republic and that we will not tolerate terror,” he told The Hindu on Tuesday.

“We had asked them to take cognisance of the evidence against the key conspirators of the 26/11 terror attacks including ‘Bade Chacha’ Hafiz Saeed, other operatives of Lashkar-e-Taiba, and most importantly, key ISI operatives of Pakistan. We had also produced email correspondences. Despite heavy evidence given to Pakistan, they did not act. In a few days, another operation is necessary because we have to go to the depth of this conspiracy. If anybody will try to play with the sovereignty of our country, Op Sindoor will take place in another form. We want to establish our identity in the eyes of the world. We are not a banana country. We will not tolerate any terror act in India. Though we have given them voluminous evidence, if they are not going to take action against the perpetrators of terror attack, Operation Sindoor will happen,” he said.

Speaking about the significance of getting David Headley’s deposition in 2016, he said it was crucial to unravel the larger conspiracy behind the terror attack.

David Headley, a key conspirator of the 26/11 terror attacks, which had killed over 175 people and injured over 300, is currently lodged in a U.S. prison and is protected from deportation by a plea bargaining agreement.

“When it was clear that we could not get him to India, I had decided to use David Headley as one of the prosecution witnesses. In view of the plea bargaining agreement, I had decided, the best policy to catch a thief is to use a thief. We had examined David Headley in Mumbai court. He gave sensitive information, giving role of Hafiz Saeed and Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi. Pakistan had tried to create an eyewash by keeping them under house arrest. But even that was revealed in his deposition. Pakistan has not acted since then,” he said.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *